Recent winter seasons have been severe and have taught many lessons regarding loss trends and steps that can be taken to reduce future weather-related incidents to buildings.
Key loss sources have included the following:
- Heavy snow or ice accumulation on roofs, outdoor equipment, and power lines.
- Low temperature causing freezing of fire sprinkler and domestic water systems.
- Blocked roof drainage leading to water back up and building intrusion.
- Temporary heaters causing fires.
- Heating system failures.
- Building envelope failure.
To prepare for winter weather, property owners can take the following precautionary steps and procedures:
Make sure that your organization is safe and prepared by following these 3 steps:
Step 1: Read these resources on vehicle safety:
Step 2: Read these Resources on property safety:
- Help Prevent Slip, Trip and Fall Injuries
- Portable Generator Safety
- Winterize Your Buildings
- Freeze-up of Fire Protection Systems
- Safeguards For Portable Heaters
- Kerosene Heaters – Safety Controls
- Help Prevent Furnace Fires This Winter
Step 3: Review this guide on Winter Protection Against Fires and Freeze-Ups: